Print Print this Page

Mold Allergies

Mold typically grows in dark and humid environments. Basements and poorly ventilated bathrooms or showers are common places to find it. Mold is particularly likely to be found in areas of buildings where a leak or flooding has occurred and little or no sunlight is available. It is also quite prevalent during the Autumn when leaves fall from trees and moisture collects underneath.  Mold can cause allergic reactions varying from mild to severe and continuous exposure, depending on the type of mold, may prove deadly.

Allergic reactions to mold can also lead to sinus infections. The inflammation of the sinuses can prevent mucous from draining and allow bacteria to fester. The best way to avoid a reaction is to take steps to avoid the development of mold. This can be done by ensuring that rooms prone to high humidity, like a bathroom, are well ventilated, and by making sure that any leaks or floods are dealt with promptly and the affected area is fully dried. Once mold develops, taking steps to address it as quickly as possible is vital to avoiding an allergic reaction. Other good tips are to use nasal washes daily to rinse out the nasal passages and consult a doctor for any medications.
 

If you have any questions or concerns about your mold allergy, please contact us.